Please join us on Oct 18, Nov 1 and Nov 15
for 3 sessions on zoom led by
Lynn Baker, Geneaologist
on how to get started doing your family's geneology.
Oct 18: Session 1: BEGINNING & ORGANIZING SESSION OBJECTIVES
Provide an overview of an effective genealogy research process:
· How to begin your research.
· How to maintain effective research.
· Highlight some of the commonly used terms.
There are two aspects to organizing your genealogy.
· You need to organize your physical items (papers & photos as well as computer files).
· You also need to keep your research efforts organized.
REASONS WHY YOU MIGHT BE ATTENDING
People undertake genealogy research for a wide variety of reasons:
· Leaving a family legacy
· Studying your medical history
· Joining lineage/hereditary societies
· Solving a family mystery
· Confirming a family legend
Nov 1: Session 2: USING ON-LINE DATABASES SESSION OBJECTIVES
Highlight some favorite on-line resources.
· Explain why some indexed records are hard to find.
· Explain how to get better search results from indexed records.
· Using of Family History Center - 343 Court St Brooklyn NY
WEBSITES WITH READY ACCESS
No fee sites
· Find A Grave
Nov 15: Session 3: Questions Answered
Lynn Baker bio:
Retired from US Naval Reserves (29 years) and IBM Corporation (37 years). He runs an active Genealogy Club on Seabrook Island / Kiawah Island and Kiawah River Estates, South Carolina called “Digging into Roots Together”. He has been doing genealogy since 1980 and loves helping others. He is a frequent speaker at the National Society Daughters of American Revolution, Summerville Genealogy Club, Charleston Chapter of the South Carolina Genealogical Society and the Charleston Family History Center.
Please register for for each session, Oct 18, Nov 1 & Nov 15 or save the zoom information to use. Same zoom info for all 3 sessions.
Reminders with the zoom link will only be sent the weeks you have registered.